12 October 2008

High cholesterol is better for memory

Supports Chapter 26: Diet and the brain

High cholesterol is better for memory and cognitive function in the elderly
A study assessed cognitive function and cholesterol levels in 185 participants between the ages of 85 and 101. These participants were recruited from the New York City area.
    Bloods were drawn to assess total, low-density lipoprotein (LDL), and high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol, as well as for APOE genotyping.
    In contrast to the researchers' expectations, they found that "high total cholesterol and high LDL cholesterol were associated with higher memory scores for noncarriers of the APOE4 allele. No significant associations between cognitive performance and lipid profile were found for carriers of the APOE4 allele."
    High cholesterol in individuals above the age of 79 has actually been found to be associated with reduced risk of dementia.
    High total cholesterol has also been correlated with a lower risk of mortality in the elderly. It may be conjectured that high levels of cholesterol suggests better health than that of individuals with lower levels of cholesterol.
    They concluded that "high cholesterol is associated with better memory function."

West R, Schnaider Beeri M, Schmeidler J, et al. Better Memory Functioning Associated With Higher Total and Low-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol Levels in Very Elderly Subjects Without the Apolipoprotein e4 Allele. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry 2008;16:781–785

3 comments:

Susie said...

Barry, I have just read through Trick and Treat and you have opened my eyes to the skullduggery going on in the medical and pharma world. I knew it was bad, but not that bad. Good for you naming and shaming, someone has to do it. The books gives great info that is neither dumbed down nor too sciency though I notice that you don't mention homocysteine at all, any reason for this? Apparently it is considered to be a more accurate indicator of heart disease risk than cholesterol or cortisol levels - up to 5-7 years in advance.

I have always had a healthy distrust of medics who are too keen to prescribe and of 'nutritionists' who think that low fat high carb is 'natural', and it seems I was right to do so. Mother Nature knows best, meat and fat it is. Grain is for the birds.

I have your other books and have followed a strictly low carb/high fat way of life for the last 10 years or so and have never felt better. I frequent other low carb discussion forums and on there you are considered a star and are often quoted. Second Opinions is also an oft quoted reference particularly in reference to cholesterol.

I wish you the very best of continuing health and look forward to further words of wisdom in the near future.

Susie

Barry Groves said...

Many thanks for writing on my blog. I must put more on but, as nobody seemed to reading it, I have let it slide a bit -- too busy being interviewed and photographed.:-)

Have a look at http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/health/3230846/Healthy-food-Should-we-be-eating-more-fat.html

Homocysteine is mentioned on several pages in my book: 233, 304, 325, and 386, but I forgot to put it in the index, for which I aplogise.

Thank you for your support and your good wishes.

Keep up the good work

My best wishes to you

A few words from the wise ... said...

This blog is fascinating. I was diagnosed with diabetes less than a year ago and seem to have it under control but my cholesterol has gone from 179 to 221. I was told that I was overdoing it in controlling my glucose levels. That made no sense. I've ordered your book. I hope I can find the answers there. Keep up the blog - I've bookmarked it.